Job Title - Senior Librarian, Royal Thimphu College, Thimphu, Bhutan
The Senior Librarian will manage the planning, administrative, management and budgetary functions of the college’s library services. He or she will ensure the provision of professional and responsive library services to the college community, including but not limited to:
· Manage and develop convenient, accessible library and information services
· Manage all library activities and take full responsibility for the library services of the college, including the safety and security of the library’s facilities and resources
· Develop and implement library and information policies and procedures for the college
· Analyze and evaluate library and information services, including technology and media service requirements
· Supervise, train, evaluate and recruit as necessary a team of library workers (including 2 assistant librarians and student workers), as well as develop work schedules
· Manage library budget and all library expenditures, including procurement of materials
· Explore possibilities for grants and other fundraising activities to enhance the library’s collection and functioning.
· Provide and ensure provision of reference and research assistance
· Provide library and information-literacy training and instruction for students and staff
· Organize outreach activities to stimulate use of the library’s programs and services
· Initiate interlibrary loans where possible
· Manage the integrated library system
· Direct all cataloging, DDC classification, and collection management
· Manage collection development and acquisition of all new materials
· Work effectively with faculty to organize and manage materials on reserve for college courses
· Oversee verification of bills for new procurement and maintenance of records for payment of invoices
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: An advanced degree in library science.
Experience: The candidate should have at least 2-3 years of work experience as a librarian.
Knowledge and Skills: Skilled in library organization and management, including training and
supervising staff (including student workers). Good knowledge of integrated library systems, reference
and research assistance, database searching, etc. Strong interpersonal skills.
Personal attributes: Hard working, active interest in providing high-quality service, excellent oral and written English language skills, attention to detail and ability to build others’ knowledge and enthusiasm for effective information retrieval. International experience is very desirable, but not essential.
The Senior Librarian reports directly to the Dean. The position may require some evening and weekend work on a rotation basis.
SALARY AND START DATE
Salary will be at local rate and paid in local currency (Ngultrums). Start date is or thereabouts.
Royal Thimphu College is located just 6 miles outside of Thimphu, the capital city of Bhutan, in a peaceful natural environment. Summers are pleasant and warm while winters are cold but sunny and clear. Thimphu, at an altitude of about 7,000 feet, has a population of just over 100,000 people including resident expatriates from many countries. Access to Thimphu, which has numerous restaurants and shops as well as the country’s best medical facilities, is provided by city bus service. On campus housing is available for many of the faculty and staff.
ROYAL THIMPHU COLLEGE
Royal Thimphu College, founded in 2009, is Bhutan’s first private college. It has about 75 faculty and enrolls about 1100 students in a wide variety of fields including business, IT, environmental studies, economics, political science, sociology, English and Dzonghka. It has an award winning exchange program with Wheaton College in the U.S. and faculty and staff from about a half dozen countries. For more information see www.rtc.bt The academic year starts in late February and goes to the second week of December with a 2-3 week break in July and a long winter break during which the librarian would be free to stay in Bhutan or to travel.
Send a C.V. and a cover letter outlining your relevant experience and the date you would be available to Dr. Janet Schofield at janet.ward.schofield@gmail.
com Applicants will not be considered unless they are willing to stay in the position for at least one year. Applications received before will be given preference. However, applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Anticipating a positive response from your end.
Royal Thimphu College